The WPO is the premier membership organization for women presidents & CEOs (and managing directors) of privately held, multi-million dollar companies. Through global, confidential and collaborative peer-learning groups, the WPO accelerates business growth, enhances competitiveness, and promotes economic security. It is the ultimate destination for successful women entrepreneurs.
WHO: More than 1,600 accomplished women entrepreneurs at the multimillion-dollar level who aim to increase their business success.
MEMBERSHIP REQUIREMENT: $2 million in gross annual sales or $1 million for service-based business; ownership at some level and senior management responsibilities for attorneys and accountants
- Average Revenue: $13.2 Million - Aggregate Revenue: $19.6 Billion
- Average Years in Business: 24 - Aggregate Years in Business: 36,000
- Average Number of Employees: 92 - Aggregate Number of Employees: 142,000
INTERESTING MEMBERSHIP STATISTICS:
* 3% of women-owned businesses gross over a million a year and qualify for WPO membership.
* 70 % of WPO members do business with each other.
* 11.5 % of its members pay themselves a salary of more than $300,000 a year.
* WPO members collectively generate $19.6 billion in annual revenue and represent about 36,000 years of collective business experience.
WHAT: In chapters composed of approximately 20 accomplished women entrepreneurs, WPO members address business concerns in a roundtable format and function as an informal board of directors for their businesses.
* There are currently 115 chapters in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Peru, Middle East and North Africa (MENA), Mexico, New Zealand, and Australia.
* Chapters are moderated by professionally-trained facilitators, all of whom own their own businesses.
* Each chapter serves as a peer advisory group based on the 4 C’s of WPO: Collaboration, Confidentiality, Commitment and Connections.
* WPO members address financial concerns, organizational development, hiring and firing and other issues defined by chapter members.
* There are Platinum groups available for entrepreneurs who gross over $10 million annually. Average revenues are $37 million.
* Cost of membership: $1,800 or $4,500 for Platinum members.
* The WPO is a non-profit IRC Sec. 501 (c)(6) organization.
WHY: The WPO functions to improve business conditions for women entrepreneurs and promote their acceptance and advancement in all industries. Through the WPO, members learn to grow their businesses to the next level. Frequently, before joining the organization these accomplished women business leaders feel as though it is lonely at the top. At the WPO accomplished women entrepreneurs find support, empowerment, inspiration and the precious ability to tap into the wisdom of their peers.
About Marsha Firestone, Ph.D.
* Dr. Firestone founded the WPO in 1997 after previously serving as Vice President of Women Inc. and as Vice President of Training and Counseling at the American Woman’s Economic Development Corporation (AWED).
In 2003, Dr. Firestone was appointed to the National Women's Business Council.
* She is the author of The Busy Woman’s Guide to Successful Self-Employment and has published research in business and educational journals.
* Dr. Firestone earned her Ph.D. in communication from Columbia University and is an expert in adult learning theory, nonverbal communication, and managerial competency.